About a month ago, I left my job.
Today I was getting a pedicure (my mother’s day present from Mitch) and the very nice man rubbing nice smelling lotions all over my toes asked, “So what do you do?” And I said, “Oh, I’m a stay at home mom.”
I’ve been home for a month, and I think that was the first time I said it. I quickly followed up with, “I used to teach.” And I was about to launch into, “And I’m going to teach again….” When I rolled my eyes at myself and looked back down at my People magazine.
It’s very weird not having somewhere to go everyday. It’s also very wonderful– VERY wonderful– to spend the vast majority of my day kissing Maren’s cheeks and chasing her around the apartment. There is also the added perk that, at the time when I used to be clocking in at work and making my way down to my classroom, Maren has just begun to stir and make her little soft morning-time noises. I don’t use an alarm clock anymore guys. I don’t even have one.
One of the things I was looking forward to was having more time to write. And I do have a lot more time to write. Oodles of it. Time is dripping from my fingertips. And yet….. nothing comes.
Lots of amusing things have been happening to me, I swear. But when I start writing about them, I realize that I’m starting to sound like one of those moms. You know. One of those moms that text their entire phone book when their kid picks their nose for the first, second, and third times. And then I would start trying to revise and move along and find something else to talk about, and all you could hear is crickets.
So, since all my words are stopped up, I decided I need a writing laxative. Thus, I am going to do one of those internet things that people do….. Introducing—– THE 30 DAY LETTER CHALLENGE
I promise: This will take longer than 30 days. And its very likely that I will quit once the word constipation goes away.
- Day 1 — Your Best Friend
- Day 2 — Your Crush
- Day 3 — Your parents
- Day 4 — Your sibling (or closest relative)
- Day 5 — Your dreams
- Day 6 — A stranger
- Day 7 — Your Ex-boyfriend/girlfriend/love/crush
- Day 8 — Your favorite internet friend
- Day 9 — Someone you wish you could meet
- Day 10 — Someone you don’t talk to as much as you’d like to
- Day 11 — A Deceased person you wish you could talk to
- Day 12 — The person you hate most/caused you a lot of pain
- Day 13 — Someone you wish could forgive you
- Day 14 — Someone you’ve drifted away from
- Day 15 — The person you miss the most
- Day 16 — Someone that’s not in your state/country
- Day 17 — Someone from your childhood
- Day 18 — The person that you wish you could be
- Day 19 — Someone that pesters your mind—good or bad
- Day 20 — The one that broke your heart the hardest
- Day 21 — Someone you judged by their first impression
- Day 22 — Someone you want to give a second chance to
- Day 23 — The last person you kissed
- Day 24 — The person that gave you your favorite memory
- Day 25 — The person you know that is going through the worst of times
- Day 26 — The last person you made a pinky promise to
- Day 27 — The friendliest person you knew for only one day
- Day 28 — Someone that changed your life
- Day 29 — The person that you want to tell everything to, but you are too afraid
- Day 30 — Your reflection in the mirror